Beaverton, OR (KPTV) — A neighbor is getting the credit for saving a dog from a devastating fire this week in Oregon.
A fire destroyed a two-story home in Beaverton, Oregon, Tuesday afternoon, according to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.
Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion after responding to the blaze in the 40 block of Southwest 150th Avenue just after 4:30 p.m.
A neighbor, while waiting for firefighters, rescued a dog from the home’s backyard, TVF&R says.
Brianna Davis says she and her parents didn’t think twice.
“We all knew that the owner of the house was gone because all the cars were gone. But we knew that Sheba was still there, and it was just like – we have to get the dog out of the fire,” Davis said.
So, they did. And luckily, they found Sheba in the backyard.
“She was really scared when we got her, but she’s doing much better,” Davis said.
Crews on scene confirmed the home was unoccupied and battled the blaze for an hour, contending with several obstacles, including a partially collapsed roof, a downed power line, excessive belongings inside the home, and excessive outside temperatures, according to fire officials.
TVF&R says crews were rotated frequently to restock air bottles and cool down.
“When you have the excessive temperatures outside with the sun glaring on you, in addition to the heat from the fire, it can be really challenging for anybody to have to deal with,” said Kim Haughn with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.
Two people were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. TVF&R says the home did not have a residential fire sprinkler and is considered a total loss.
“That house has always been there with the same owners and I’m just so surprised, because I’ve always lived with that house being there. And it’s just really sad,” said Davis.
A fire investigator is working to determine where and how the fire started.
Firefighters say kids in the neighborhood crafted signs to thank them for their work.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- Anti-vaccination signs over freeway deemed a distraction, taken down
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- Video of accusations at a fast and testimony meeting sparks response
- Colorado reports first confirmed case of COVID-19 variant in the US
- Macey’s BYU Ultimate Fan Box 2020
- Utah lawmakers push for ERA ratification, reviving political battle
- Layton Utah Temple site announced