A new survey released from the underwear company Tommy Johns says that a large portion of Americans might not be changing their tighty-whities very often.
Tommy Johns says that nearly 1 in every 2 Americans reported wearing the same pair of undies for 2 days or longer.
13% of those surveyed say they’ll stretch one pair out to a week or more!
Men seem to be the biggest offenders, with 20% reporting they’ll wear their underwear for more than a week which. That’s 2.5x more than the 8% of women who say they’ll do the same.
38% of Americans say they don’t have any idea as to how long they’ve owned their oldest pair of skivvies.
“It’s crucial to update your underwear wardrobe every six months to a year to ensure you’re protected from harmful infections and health risks,” Tommy Johns said in a release.
“Over time, underwear accumulates various types of problematic microorganisms and fungal germs that can increase your susceptibility to certain illnesses, like yeast infections and urinary tract infections, among others.
“Women should be especially careful, as they’re more at risk than men to experience health issues due to unclean underwear,” the company said.
Just like brushing your teeth, they say you should be changing your undies every day too.
A few helpful tips to keep your unmentionables clean and you healthy according to Tommy Johns:
- Tumble dry your underwear on low heat for 30 minutes after washing. This will minimize the amount of bacteria your underwear gathers after a wash. You can also iron if that’s more your speed!
- Don’t mix your underwear in the same load with your significant other or children if they’re sick. Doing so only increases the amount of bacteria hanging out in your washing machine.
- Avoid washing contaminated underwear with other pairs and clothing. This is especially important for those who have bacterial infections.
- Wash your underwear separately from clothing containing other bodily fluids. If any article of clothing is stained, it’s better to wash it separately from your underwear.
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- Sergeant Joe Cyr, Salt Lake City Police Department
- Jazz fan gets “coolest injury ever” after Donovan Mitchell flies into third row
- President Trump signs law naming Utah federal courthouse after former Sen. Hatch
- Lawmakers promote bill prohibiting online impersonation
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer