ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Mary Poppins. Wakanda. Rapunzel. They’re a hodge-podge of beloved characters and settings, but how do they belong together? Answer: they’re coming to Disney parks or cruise ships within the next few years.
Disney Parks chairman Bob Chapek revealed the new plans at the company’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, California.
Mary Poppins on Cherry Tree Lane
The first Mary Poppins attraction at a Disney park will be at Epcot. The addition is part of the transformation of the Florida park. Appropriately, the Cherry Tree Lane neighborhood will be housed in the United Kingdom pavilion in World Showcase.
Other changes are afoot in Epcot’s World Showcase, too. The area around a lagoon that shows off pavilions from almost a dozen nations.
Changes keep coming
Next year, the French pavilion is adding a new attraction based on the animated film “Ratatouille.” It will also include a new French restaurant. Also, the French pavilion will host a sing-along with songs from the film, “Beauty and the Beast” starting next January.
Both the Canada and China pavilions are getting new movies showcasing their countries, and Disney officials said a new nighttime extravaganza will offer various interpretations of classic Disney songs from people all over the world.
In other parts of Epcot, a “Guardians of the Galaxy” ride is planned. And the space theme will continue with a new restaurant at the Mission: Space pavilion.
Don’t forget Avengers!
Elsewhere in Disney’s “park-dom,” ”Avenger Campus” areas are planned for Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Paris, based on “The Avengers” movie franchise. Both campuses will have Spider-Man attractions. The California park will have an Avengers Headquarters which will become the entrance to a ride that features the Avengers on a mission in Wakanda, the fictional land from the film “Black Panther.”
More cruise ships
Disney is bringing online three new cruise ships, including Disney Wish, upon which the image of Rapunzel will grace the stern when it starts sailing in 2021.
Disney also is building a “Zootopia”-themed land at Shanghai Disney Resort.
Details on the new attractions were made just days before the new “Star Wars” land opens at Walt Disney World on Thursday. An identical land opened at Disneyland in California at the start of the summer.
Today’s Top Stories
- Trouble with Teams? Microsoft reports problems with “multiple 365 services.”
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Temple Square lights turn on tonight to kick start the holidays
- How in person voting works in different counties along the Wasatch
- Utah hospitals could receive COVID-19 vaccines in less than two weeks
- More than 70% of Americans report wearing a mask in public, study shows
- Temporary flight restrictions in place over William, Ether Hollow fires
- Update: More birds found dead after Friday night storm
- Harmons will begin administering COVID-19 vaccines to eligible groups
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty