PHOENIX (AP) — The U.S. marshal for Arizona says a fugitive couple suspected of murder escaped by tying up two security guards near the Utah state line.
In an interview Thursday with Phoenix radio station KTAR-FM, David Gonzales shared more details about how 56-year-old Blane Barksdale and 59-year-old Susan Barksdale escaped on Monday.
Authorities say the couple was being extradited from upstate New York to Arizona to face murder charges in the killing of a Tucson man.
Authorities say the couple overpowered their escorts and fled to Arizona.
Gonzales says it took the civilian guards two to three hours to break out.
He says the Barksdales had been gone for eight hours by the time investigators got there.
They were last seen with a red GMC pickup, which they got from an acquaintance.
This story has been changed to correct the spelling of David Gonzales’ last name from Gonzalez.
Today’s Top Stories
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- UVU students win records fight over campus police reports
- Elon Musk wants YOU to build a brain-computer interface Neuralink
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- Only-child doesn’t need to be lonely child during the pandemic
- Former Bonneville International President passes away
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Hurricane-force winds in Utah close schools, knock power out
- Live Mic: Utah Farm Bureau president talks about coronavirus impact