PHOENIX (AP) — The U.S. marshal for Arizona says a fugitive couple suspected of murder escaped by tying up two security guards near the Utah state line.
In an interview Thursday with Phoenix radio station KTAR-FM, David Gonzales shared more details about how 56-year-old Blane Barksdale and 59-year-old Susan Barksdale escaped on Monday.
Authorities say the couple was being extradited from upstate New York to Arizona to face murder charges in the killing of a Tucson man.
Authorities say the couple overpowered their escorts and fled to Arizona.
Gonzales says it took the civilian guards two to three hours to break out.
He says the Barksdales had been gone for eight hours by the time investigators got there.
They were last seen with a red GMC pickup, which they got from an acquaintance.
This story has been changed to correct the spelling of David Gonzales’ last name from Gonzalez.
Today’s Top Stories
- Thousands of tiger muskies swim into new reservoir home
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Utah limo companies face inspections like buses, trucks
- USU’s “True Aggie Night” tradition up in the air during the pandemic
- Nearly 400 years in the making, ‘Christmas Star’ visible tonight
- Gov. Herbert signs bill restoring police, firefighter pensions
- VIDEO: Sen. Romney confronted by an angry passenger at the airport
- Parents of Chad Daybell reach out; vigil planned to honor slain children
- Bail reform becomes legislative spotlight in Utah once again
- George Floyd memorial vandalized in downtown SLC