SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has died after having a stroke while serving as a mission president in the Philippines.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said in a news release that Bradley Wayne Kirk died Wednesday morning after having a stroke Monday. The 61-year-old Kirk and his wife, Shirley, arrived to lead the Philippines mission in July.
The Kirks are from Clovis, California. They have three children.
The Kirk family said in a statement that they are deeply saddened, but feel comfort that he died serving a church mission in a place that was dear to his heart. The family says Kirk loved music, family and the outdoors.
Mission presidents usually spend three years overseeing young men and women on proselyting missions considered rites of passage.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s Gail Miller is America’s 14th richest self-made woman
- Powerful typhoon lashes Philippines, killing at least 10
- Heat advisory: FEMA says it’s too hot outside
- Convicted University of Utah shooter extradited to Colorado
- ‘The End’ of Fortnite leaves millions staring at a black hole
- With online learning, class bullies fade to the background
- Aaron Hadfield – Brighton High School
- Amy Madsen – Ellison Park Elementary
- You can now pay thousands of dollars to talk to celebrities for 10 minutes. Thanks, Cameo
- Cary Hylton – Springville High School