A nine-year old girl suffered numerous bites and scratches in an attack by two dogs, police say.
The girl was riding her bike in an Eagle Mountain neighborhood when the alleged attack occurred on Wednesday afternoon.
The Utah County Sheriff’s Office says two large dogs, identified as a Mastiff and Wire Terrier, knocked the girl to the ground a little after 4:30 p.m.
The attack continued for more than a minute, police say, when a nearby man chased the dogs away.
Another resident of the area came to help while the dogs remained in the area.
The child suffered “numerous bites and scratches on the front and back of her upper body and on her arms,” the police say.
One of the two dogs appeared to go back to where the girl was being treated by the two adults, according to reports.
The dogs allegedly went after another child also riding on a bike in the area. The second child was not injured, police say.
Deputies seized the two dogs. The dogs are being held at the North Utah Valley Animal Shelter.
The owners of the dogs were cited for “allowing an attack and “for allowing their dogs to run at large,” a police spokesperson says.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- No school for kids at one Utah school, courtesy of a garbage fire
- Jared Nicol, Hildale council member, jailed on suspicion of stalking
- Planning to watch election results? It may take a while.
- Utah woman says bison flipped her into air, broke her ankle
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Misdemeanor trial date set for Lori Vallow Daybell
- UDOT going forward with West Davis Corridor
- Candidate Conversation: Jenny Wilson for Senate