SALT LAKE CITY — The Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Guatemala City, Guatemala, will close in Janary of 2020. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the decision today.
In a statement, Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said the decision to close the Guatemala MTC is part of a long process the Church has undertaken to determine the best use of its worldwide resources.
“Specifically, this move will allow for the better use of the Mexico MTC,” the statement reads, “which is well-equipped to accommodate large groups of missionaries being trained in the Spanish language.”
According to the Deseret News, missionaries trained at the Guatemala MTC go on to serve missions in Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, or Panama. It was established on July 1, 1986.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Latest Mitt Romney polls: Republican approval rating drop
- When do pandemics end? Utah lawmakers look at metrics for COVID-19 “endgame”
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Update: Police identify man in Echo nightclub shooting
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Find a Way Out! 3 Ways You Can Stay Safe During a Mass Shooting Situation Anywhere You Are