SALT LAKE CITY — Election Day might be more than a month away but today is National Voter Registration Day, the day to learn how to register or update your registration.
National Voter Registration Day takes place on the fourth Tuesday of September, every year. It is designed to ensure that everyone who wants to vote, has the chance to vote. According to the the National Voter Registration Day website, millions of Americans do not vote. The reasons include that they miss the registration deadline, they don’t update their registration, or they just aren’t sure how to register.
On National Voter Registration Day each year, up to 10,000 local volunteers throughout the country raise awareness for voter registration in their communities. Last year more than 800,000 voters used National Voter Registration Day to register people to vote across all 50 states.
Register to Vote in Utah
To register online, you have to have a current Utah Driver’s License or ID. You can update your address on your license before registering to vote by going to the Driver’s License Division. If you register online, you have to submit your registration at least 7 days before the election.
You can also register to vote by mail, using a mail-in voter registration form. If you register using the mail-in form, you have to mail your completed registration form at least 30 days before the election to be eligible to vote.
Another option is to register in person at the Salt Lake County Election Division, at 2001 South State Street, in Salt Lake City. Or you can go to an early voting location Or Election Day Vote Center and vote on the same day.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Bodies of missing girls found in Utah Lake
- Sergeant Brian Taylor, Provo Police Department
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Utah County Commissioner wants Utah open for business
- Park City Mountain restricts backcountry access with avalanche danger high
- Vivint Smart Home Arena parent company merges with holding firm
- From Adderall to “huffing” canned air; a Utah man’s journey with addiction
- Dave & Dujanovic: Bill would raise minimum wage in Utah to $15 an hour by 2026
- Father and son charged in Salt Lake City homicide