OREM– Health and Wellness company doTERRA will donate $17.7 million to Utah Valley University (UVU). It will be awarded over 10 years and is the second-largest donation UVU has ever received.
Most of the money will go towards scholarships, online educational opportunities, and athletics. The donation to the athletic department includes a gift to help fund a new Student-Athlete Academic and Wellness Center.
The money will also support university organizations. Those include the Center for Constitutional Studies, the Women’s Success Center, the Noorda Center for Performing Arts, and the College of Science.
UVU’s Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Scott Cooksey, says the donation “is a game-changer in a lot of ways.”
Cooksey says the donation is unique because it will impact all UVU students.
“Many times donors make a large significant gift into one part of a university,” Cooksey says. “But this one is unique in the fact that it’s covering so many different areas and will impact so many students.”
He says UVU needs private funding from companies or private donors to fund scholarships for students.
doTERRA’S Founding Executive President and CFO, Corey Lindley, said the company took an interest in donating after getting involved with UVU’S Center for Autism and Women’s Success Center.
“We have witnessed firsthand how integral UVU is to our community and how effective UVU is in moving the needle when it has sufficient support,” Lindley said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Train derailment causes mess near Milford
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Will Pettit – Granite Park Junior High
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- The 90 minutes that cost Principal Ford White his job
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…
- Biden gets into testy exchange with man over gun rights
- Over 20,000 Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses already in Utah
- Mrs. Jill Muhlestein – Elk Meadows Elementary