LAYTON, Utah – US Marshalls have shot and wounded a suspect in the parking lot of the Layton Hills Mall.
The marshalls had been tracking the 28-year-old man Tuesday afternoon, who was wanted on several felony warrants in multiple cities in Utah, including for aggravated robbery.
Matthew Brooks with the US Marshalls Service says they believed he was armed, which is why they waited until he left the mall and got to the parking lot.
But when Marshalls confronted him outside the JC Penney, Brooks says he ran away and got into his car.
“He ran towards his vehicle, got in the vehicle, and started ramming [law enforcement] vehicles. As our police vehicles approached, he continued to ram our police vehicles, and vehicles adjacent to his vehicle,” Brooks says.
Brooks says that’s when US Marshalls opened fire, wounding the suspect, who was then taken to the hospital.
No other person appears to be injured, including the woman who had been with the suspect at the mall.
The Davis County Incident Protocol Team is investigating what happened.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- Sen. Romney calls for vote on bill to prevent mass layoffs for airline workers
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Utah National Guard supports fallen mayor’s daughter at debate
- US says its airlines can resume limited flights to China
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- COLD season 2 announced: Justice for Joyce Yost