The Police Department in Springfield, Missouri, posted photos of the flags in use on its Facebook page Wednesday.
The flags contain messages such as, “Is this your turd? ‘Cuz that’s absurd” and “This is a nudge to pick up the fudge.”
The campaign started this week and the department noted on Facebook that leaving behind a pet’s mess in many cases violates a city ordinance.
The flags are made of bamboo and recycled paper.
The city said it picks up nearly 25 pounds (11.34 kilograms) of poop a week from downtown parks and parking lots, costing $7,500 annually.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- Church spends nearly $1 billion in humanitarian, welfare aid, leaders say
- Ski resorts in northern Utah shutting down due to heavy snow, avalanche danger
- Diet soda doesn’t have to lead to weight loss, court rules
- Flu vaccine doesn’t fully cover Influenza B, CDC says
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here’s everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine
- Passengers stuck on Amtrak train for about 20 hours finally on their way