TOOELE, Utah — Police are hoping to track down a man that stole a vehicle Tuesday morning with a 10-year-old boy in the backseat.
According to Tooele Police, they first got a call around 7:30 a.m. that a car was stolen with a child inside in the area of 1800 North Berra Boulevard.
The boy’s father, Guy Ashdown, says his wife and son were both outside in the car waiting for his daughter who was still inside.
His wife eventually left the running vehicle to quickly check on the daughter.
He says the boy was alone in the vehicle for only a few moments before a man jumped inside and sped away with the car.
“He took off down the road and didn’t realize that my son was in the back of the car,” says Ashdown. “My son started freaking out and he threw him out of the car.”
Police say the suspect only drove about a block before forcing the child to exit.
The child was able to give police a very detailed description of the suspect, which helped cops locate the suspect on Interstate 80.
The Unified Police Department says the man was driving about 90 miles per hour and they followed the vehicle to an apartment complex at 8425 West 2910 South in Magna.
At that point he crashed the car into the complex and fled on foot.
Police are describing the suspect as an Hispanic male.
According to the boy’s father, he’s certain to return to the scene of the crime.
“He’ll stay away for a little while, but then when he realizes that the dust has settled or something, or thinks that no one is watching him, then he’ll be back,” explains Ashdown.
UPD is working with Tooele Police as they continue the search.
The good news is that the 10-year-old boy is uninjured, but still a little spooked from the encounter.
“Yeah, my son is freaked out,” he explains. “But he’s a strong little man, he’s tough, he’s strong. he’s smart.”
Today’s Top Stories
- “Euthanize the police dog” Social Media calls to cancel Paw Patrol
- Health officials urge Utah’s Hispanic population to keep holiday events small due to COVID-19
- Greg Skordas: Democratic nominee for Utah attorney general
- Two hospitalized after shooting at Fashion Place Mall
- Tentative deal reached on anti-gerrymandering initiative
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Utah tourism unemployment at an all time high according to new report
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Pilot who crashed his own home in Payson had hangar code
- No school for kids at one Utah school, courtesy of a garbage fire