SALT LAKE CITY — A soldier’s homecoming included a big surprise, but not in the way you think. Marci Cornaby surprised her husband with a major weight loss win while he was deployed.
Sergeant First Class Thomas Cornaby broke out with a huge smile when he caught sight of his wife waiting by baggage claim at Terminal 1.
“She looks outstanding! But she’s always looked good,” he told KSL.
They hugged and laughed and she told him how much weight she lost over the last ten months.
“83 pounds, my dear!” said Marci.
“Wow,” he responded, “That’s like a whole person!”
Thomas Cornaby was deployed to Poland and Germany, doing public affairs for the Army Reserves. This was his 4th deployment.
They would text, call and FaceTime and he knew she was working on being healthier, but he was still surprised.
“It’s amazing, it’s amazing. I would have taken her anyway. This is good; it’s good for her, it’s good for everybody,” he said.
They say they now plan to stay healthy together.
“Tom really likes bike riding, and so I want to ride bikes with him. One thing I’ve started doing is walking the dog every day. Now we can walk the dog together,” said Marci.
Marci says her fourth-grade students in American Fork encouraged her and helped her count down to the homecoming day.
Today’s Top Stories
- Nintendo is bringing back a super-retro handheld from the 1980s
- Church leaders update COVID-19 safety measures for Utah
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- Military family robbed in Salt Lake City
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- APNewsBreak: Lawsuit claims Utah’s Grand America exploited immigrants
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- Congressman’s siblings release an attack ad against their own brother