SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has died in the central African county of Congo.
The Utah-based church said in a news release Tuesday that 21-year-old Hermann Keredjim Mwanken died Monday after a brief illness. Church officials didn’t provide any additional details about the illness.
Mwanken is from Kinshasa, Congo, and had been serving a mission there since November 2017.
Missions are considered a rite of passage for young members of the faith. Men serve for two years, while women go for 18 months.
Church figures show there are about 65,000 missionaries currently.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Most Deseret Industries stores along the Wasatch Front open by Friday, with changes
- Much of Utah under severe weather warnings
- Abe Yospe – Westland Elementary
- Jason Ruch, Saratoga Springs PD
- Jeremy Barnes, Utah Department of Public Safety
- Romance scam uses military photos to fool widow
- Officer Preston Casey, Centerville
- Expect hazy skies and moderately unhealthy air for a few days