NEW HARMONY, Utah (AP) — Authorities in Utah say a man has died while making a homemade explosive device at a Washington County home.
County sheriff’s officials say the incident occurred around 8 p.m. Saturday.
The man’s name is being withheld until authorities can notify his family.
Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a home in the town of New Harmony, which is near St. George.
They say the explosion occurred in a garage of the residence and no other explosive devices were found.
Although the dead man was previously known to law enforcement, detectives say they haven’t discovered any evidence to indicate an intended target for the device.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Hawaii man suspected of killing 2 cops described as unhinged
- Latest: Most missing now accounted for in Oregon blaze
- Canyons School District back in class
- Biden gets into testy exchange with man over gun rights
- Utahns 16+ with co-morbidities eligible “effective immediately” for vaccine
- Dave & Dujanovic
- Governor, legislature announce deal to repeal increased Utah food tax
- Sewer district leaving more than a bad impression for nearby residents
- Friends, family say San Jose police mismanaged search for tech leader