NEW HARMONY, Utah (AP) — Authorities in Utah say a man has died while making a homemade explosive device at a Washington County home.
County sheriff’s officials say the incident occurred around 8 p.m. Saturday.
The man’s name is being withheld until authorities can notify his family.
Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a home in the town of New Harmony, which is near St. George.
They say the explosion occurred in a garage of the residence and no other explosive devices were found.
Although the dead man was previously known to law enforcement, detectives say they haven’t discovered any evidence to indicate an intended target for the device.
Today’s Top Stories
- 6.4-magnitude quake rattles Nevada
- Friends mourn Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico
- Is the kissing bug a threat in Utah?
- Toxic algal bloom spotted on Utah Lake, a first for 2019
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?
- Neighborhood Connection
- Two huge snakes fall through kitchen ceiling in Australia
- 3 scientists win Nobel physics prize for black hole research
- Hurricane State Liquor Store closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19