(CNN) — Apple’s new Mac Pro is about to go on sale. The top-of-the-line Mac, anticipated by power users for its jaw-dropping specs, and by Apple design fans for its cheese-grater-like appearance, will be available for preorders beginning Tuesday.
It’s the computer’s first update in six years and it looks drastically different than its predecessor. Apple ditched the previous “trash can” cylinder design for a more traditional tower shape that has several holes for cooling and a handle on top. The computer is loaded with a 28-core Intel and 1.5 TB of system memory.
It comes at a cost: $6,000 for the computer alone. Cusotmers can also have to buy the 32-inch 6K retina LCD display, called the Pro Display XDR, for an additional $4,999. There’s also a $999 monitor stand, but the computer can be used without it if you lean the monitor against the computer or purchase a mount adapter.
Apple first showed off the Mac Pro at its World Wide Developers Conference in June. Although it preorders will be available Tuesday, when it will actually ship remains unclear.
The computer is built in the United States because of a federal tariff exclusion it received for several key parts of the device. Over the summer, reports indicated Apple might move assembly of the product from a Texas plant to China because of the US-China trade war.
President Donald Trump toured the plant in November, where he falsely claimed he “opened” it despite the fact that Apple has been making the Mac Pro at the Austin facility since 2013.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Police looking for man who “brandished gun” at Clinton Walmart
- Cougar leaves mark on Herriman driveway
- Want to buy a dinosaur? One of the world’s biggest T. rex skeletons is up for sale
- Tooele School District employees will repay $10K for travel
- Lawmaker proposes bill aimed at helping small business owners deal with PPP taxes