(CNN) — Law enforcement agencies are responding to an “active shooting situation” in Jersey City, New Jersey, according to Jean Jadezaia, a spokeswoman for the Hudson County Sheriff’s Office.
The ATF office in Newark tweeted Tuesday that agents responded to “reports of an active shooter.”
The New York Police Department’s Emergency Service Unit is also responding to the situation in Jersey City, according to a law enforcement official familiar with the incident.
No one is in custody in connection with the shooting, according to a law enforcement official.
CNN affiliates reported that the shooting occurred in the area of Martin Luther King Drive in Jersey City, across the Hudson River from Manhattan. Several roads were closed and schools were on lock down.
Jersey City schools are on lockdown “due to police activity” and “all students and staff are safe,” according to a Facebook post on the school district page.
All schools in nearby Bayonne, New Jersey, are “in a shelter-in-place as a precaution due to police activity and investigation in Jersey City,” according to a tweet from the Bayonne Board of Education.
The New Jersey State Police Benevolent Association tweeted: “We need a lot of prayers right now for Jersey City officers. Keep all those involved in your thoughts.”
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his…
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah