MAGNA, Utah — A woman is recovering from a severe allergic reaction after unknowingly using expired hair dye.
She bought it at a grocery store, and now has a warning for others.
“My scalp was burned, like bright red,” said Amanda Ortega. “Big scabs and it was just oozing stuff out of them.”
Ortega ended up having to go to the hospital three times, telling KSL TV her face and eyes became swollen, and then she had trouble breathing.
Ortega says she bought the box of hair dye on sale from a Smith’s in Magna. She didn’t see the writing on the box until later — tiny lettering showed an expiration date of August 2017.
“It’s been years, I just dye it the same color but this is the first time that I’ve used the box dyes,” she said.
Smith’s issued a statement saying, “We have been in contact with the customer and a claim has been filed. We take these matters seriously and we will continue to investigate the unfortunate occurrence.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- School won’t let CEO pay off student lunch debt
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Former producer: Doug Wright is the master of the scoop
- Parent dress code, Houston high school takes aim at parents
- Koala rescued after five-car pileup on Australian freeway