MAGNA, Utah — A woman is recovering from a severe allergic reaction after unknowingly using expired hair dye.
She bought it at a grocery store, and now has a warning for others.
“My scalp was burned, like bright red,” said Amanda Ortega. “Big scabs and it was just oozing stuff out of them.”
Ortega ended up having to go to the hospital three times, telling KSL TV her face and eyes became swollen, and then she had trouble breathing.
Ortega says she bought the box of hair dye on sale from a Smith’s in Magna. She didn’t see the writing on the box until later — tiny lettering showed an expiration date of August 2017.
“It’s been years, I just dye it the same color but this is the first time that I’ve used the box dyes,” she said.
Smith’s issued a statement saying, “We have been in contact with the customer and a claim has been filed. We take these matters seriously and we will continue to investigate the unfortunate occurrence.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Drugs and other crimes still a big problem in county jails
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- UVU students win records fight over campus police reports
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- University of Utah honors veterans with ceremony