LAYTON, Utah — A large water main break under a Smith’s Distribution center in Layton caused a tank of ammonia to begin leaking, according to the Layton City Fire Department.
Battalion Chief Jason Cook says his department received a call around 5 a.m. in response to a fire alarm at the compound at 500 Sugar Street between Hill Field Rd. and Layton Pkwy.
When firefighters arrived, Cook says they discovered that the alarm was triggered by leaking ammonia. Crews evacuated the area as a precaution. The ammonia on the site is used as a refrigerant throughout the facility.
Cook says the ammonia leak was caused after a large water main break happened under the bakery building on the compound. The water main break eroded the soil under where the ammonia was stored, shifting the concrete enough that the tanks leaked. He says that both the ammonia leak and water main leak have been stopped, but it may take a few days for repairs to be finished.
Next up: Plant facilities is working to determine what caused the main break (that’ll take a few days). Right now the facility is still active with trucks coming in and out.
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) December 11, 2019
Cook says there were no injuries as a result of the leak. He expects crews to soon locate and fix the leaking water main.
Today’s Top Stories
- Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off
- Mary Kaye Huntsman talks: politics, international pressure and Russia
- Fireworks and pets: keeping furry friends safe during firework season
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- Local health officials update COVID-19 numbers, discuss “vaccine hunters”
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member
- Remembering Joe Vandever: Navajo code talker, American hero