Authorities say a Nebraska man has been arrested in a cold-case killing of a Salt Lake City woman in her apartment.
The South Sioux City Police Department said 55-year-old Bryan Reed awaits extradition to face Utah charges of murder and aggravated burglary in the Aug. 18, 1982 killing of 72-year-old Wilhelmina Reid.
Police said investigators first interviewed Reed in December 2018 and at that time served a search warrant for his DNA. According to police, the DNA results and fingerprints linked Reed to the killing.
On August 18, 1982, Willhelmina Reid a 72-year-old female was found dead in her apartment at 959 W. California Avenue.
A search warrant was written, and Reed’s DNA was collected. Detectives interviewed Reed and developed probable cause to make an arrest in the case.
Police said Reed was 17 at the time of the killing and moved to Nebraska soon after.
“These are cases that we want to get solved,” said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown in a statement.
“Cold cases are just as important to our detectives as are current cases and we are constantly reviewing them. If we have leads, we exhaust them.” Brown said.
“The implication of being able to solve these cases is immense. Both for the victim’s family and for the community to know that a killer has been caught. We are proud of the hard work put in by our investigators to solve this case.”
Online case records in Utah don’t list an attorney for Reed who could comment on the allegations.
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- Donovan Mitchell: good Samaritan deed goes viral
- Courage Reins
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit