LAYTON, Utah — Austin Brown is doing well after he lost his hand and half of his right arm in March.
Hope Brown told KSLTV that her four-year-old is an “‘I can do it’ boy. He has figured out how to do everything with what we call his little arm.”
Austin was playing in the backyard when he lost his arm in March after two Huskies from the neighbor’s yard got ahold of his arm from underneath the fence.
“I was terrified. I was so scared,” she said. “It was just like in complete shock. Nothing could have ever prepared me for that. You think dog bite, you think bites. You don’t realize like being eaten like that.”
Brown is speaking out for the first time since her son lost his arm and says she wasn’t expecting all of the hate that came after their story went viral. Hateful messages and even death threats came rolling in.
“Don’t blame the dogs for you being a terrible mom”
“Your son should not have been provoking that husky!”
“I hope you rot in Hell”
Those are just a few that she read to KSLTV’s Dan Rascon.
“Just the shock that people were attacking us that way. That they were saying such horrible things,” she says. “It’s just maddening that people would put this on a three-year-old. This was our sanctuary. This was our home.”
Those threats and attacks didn’t just stay online Bown says, they even happened in public.
“This guy, unfortunately, looked at [Austin] and said, ‘oh you’re that kid, bet you learned your lesson didn’t you,’” she said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- Bountiful police release video of pawn shop shooting
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- ERA Utah supporters hold rally at the State Capitol building
- Son of infamous polygamist leader, Warren Jeffs, is dead
- Wyoming GOP vote to censure Rep. Liz Cheney over impeachment vote
- A Utah man dies while swimming at Deer Creek State Park
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- Cleanup from Magna quake continues as some residents grow more frustrated
- KSL NewsRadio Announces New Show, Programming Lineup