SALT LAKE CITY — It was already a wet, rainy rush hour coming to an end on Thursday night, when a big crash caused major delays around one of the area’s biggest shopping malls, Fashion Place. Unified Police spokeswoman Melody Gray says officers spotted a car driven by a female with felony warrants at the Wal Mart on 5400 South Redwood Rd. She says officers were attempting to take her into custody, but she fled the scene.
“At 70th South 1300 West they attempted to spike her. She did flee at that time, and hit a vehicle. The officers did not pursue her. She hit another vehicle at 70th South State Street,” says Gray.
A male passenger in the suspect’s car suffered serious injuries in the second crash, was transported to the hospital and is expected to survive. The female suspect, identified as 27-year-old Makayla Lopshire, is facing additional fleeing charges, according to Gray. The male passenger, as of late Thursday night, had not been arrested pending a check of any outstanding warrants he might have.
Two people inside the other vehicle, hit when the suspect’s car ran a red light, were not hurt. Traffic was tied up in and out of busy Fashion Place Mall for over an hour while the wreck was being cleared.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s Gail Miller is America’s 14th richest self-made woman
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Southeast Utah Health Department – The Hope Squad of Carbon and Emery Counties
- FanX files motion to avoid legal bills
- New restrictions on fireworks to keep Utah residents safe
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- Courage Reins
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his…
- Emery, Cougars heat up in rout of Aggies | 95-80