At least seven children were among the dead and 11 people were injured, according to a statement from the Public Ministry.
The crash occurred near the town of Gualán in the department of Zacapa, the statement said, about 168 kilometers (104 miles) from the nation’s capital, Guatemala City.
It’s unclear what caused the crash. The drivers of the bus and the truck were detained and sent to a detention center, the ministry said.
Investigators are still working to identify some of the victims.
Footage from CNN affiliate Canal Antigua showed a bus on the side of the road with its side torn away as bystanders gathered around. Debris and clothes were strewn along the side of the road.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- Another 4.4 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week
- What makes soda so addictive?
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Inside a coronavirus hospital in Italy, doctors warn: get ready
- Rare Nike ‘Moon Shoe’ up for auction at Sotheby’s could fetch $160,000