MEXICO CITY — Officials with the Mexican government confirmed a major arrest today in connection to the slaying of nine women and children in Northern Mexico last month. They arrested Fidel Alejandro Villegas for his involvement in the suspected cartel murders.
Villegas is a municipal police chief in Chihuahua and his ties to the slayings are currently unclear. His arrest is one of many by Mexican law enforcement after that country’s government invited the FBI to assist in the investigation.
Mexican news outlets say police chief Fidel Alejandro Villegas is in custody for suspicion of being somehow involved in the crime, but the nature of that involvement is unclear. Officials believe the women and children were killed after getting caught up in a territory dispute between local drug cartels. Mexico’s president has invited the FBI to assist with the investigation after pressure from the Trump administration.
Villegas is one of several suspects detained since the investigation began.
Today’s Top Stories
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Best garden gifts for Mother’s Day | KSL Greenhouse
- Advice from a registered sex offender: teach your kids
- Teen in critical condition after Taylorsville Shooting
- Constitutional Amendment A: a Utah voter’s guide
- What makes soda so addictive?
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Mr. Daryl Hunt – Horizonte Instruction & Training Ctr.
- Who will win the presidential race on November 3rd? It’s anyone’s guess