CEDAR CITY, UT–Human remains were found in a drainage tunnel running below I-15 in Ceder City, according to a statement from the Cedar City Police Department.
Around 2:00 Saturday afternoon, two juveniles walking near the drainage tunnel spotted what seemed to be human remains. They went home and notified their parents, who later called the police, said Lieutenant Jimmy Roden.
Roden informed investigators from the Cedar City Police Department and representatives from the Iron County Sheriff’s Office and the Office of the Medical Examiner retrieved the skeletal remains on Sunday.
The remains “were found to be in an advanced state of decomposition,” said Roden. Investigators were unable to immediately determine anything about the remains, including the sex of the person.
The medical examiner’s office will conduct an autopsy on the body. More information will be available once the autopsy is completed
Authorities did not immediately release the exact location of the tunnel.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lincoln County, NV, prepares for possible onslaught
- Utah tourism unemployment at an all time high according to new report
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Two hospitalized after shooting at Fashion Place Mall
- “Euthanize the police dog” Social Media calls to cancel Paw Patrol
- Bad crash in Lehi during Thursday rush hour leaves one child critical
- Tentative deal reached on anti-gerrymandering initiative
- Greg Skordas: Democratic nominee for Utah attorney general
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Pilot who crashed his own home in Payson had hangar code