New Year’s Day a big winter storm should be coming. UDOT is expecting on the holiday for more people to try to go skiing.
But it could mean major problems and backups again in the canyons.
“The problem you get with one lane up the canyon and one lane down, is if one person is unprepared, it slows everyone down. And when traffic stops, the plows stop, and everything comes to a halt,” said Jake Brown, UDOT Roadway operations manager for the Cottonwood Canyons.
There is a new traction law this year.
“We want everyone to be ready to go, and have the right tires and right traction, and be ready for the next couple of days,” said Brown.
UDOT is hiring someone to help them enforce the new traction law, and educate people to have the right chains or tires.
“Where is the enforcement at the mouth of the canyons?!,” you asked. UDOT listened. UDOT is seeking applicants for a position specifically to assist UPD and UDOT Cottonwood Maintenance Station with enforcing and educating drivers on the new #tractionlaw. https://t.co/qZpxd5JKaM pic.twitter.com/VyMeXyhj2z
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) December 30, 2019
That new person will be stationed at the base of the canyon.
“Making sure we get people heading up the canyon with proper tires, or proper traction devices on, so that things can go a little more smoothly,” said Brown.
He said Unified Police can’t be there all the time to check traction devices at the bottom of the canyon.
The next storm is expected to give a lot of snow to the cottonwood canyons, but also the valleys, benches and the northern mountains.
#Weather Alert: @UtahDOT Weather Forecasters report this incoming storm will bring heavy snow amounts in the Cottonwoods: 1-2 ft, and 3-3.5 ft possible in some areas. All hands will be on deck for our road ops crew. Is your vehicle prepared for severe winter weather conditions? https://t.co/ugYrzPl4z9
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) December 31, 2019
Today’s Top Stories
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- FanX files motion to avoid legal bills
- Chip Hayes – South Summit Middle School
- BYU nanofiber technology making more effective face masks
- Susan Powell’s son Charlie showed signs he was “troubled”
- Opioid addiction causes a Utah woman to spiral out of control
- Arrests made in likely murder of missing Kearns woman
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- Honoring the Class of 2020