New Year’s Day a big winter storm should be coming. UDOT is expecting on the holiday for more people to try to go skiing.
But it could mean major problems and backups again in the canyons.
“The problem you get with one lane up the canyon and one lane down, is if one person is unprepared, it slows everyone down. And when traffic stops, the plows stop, and everything comes to a halt,” said Jake Brown, UDOT Roadway operations manager for the Cottonwood Canyons.
There is a new traction law this year.
“We want everyone to be ready to go, and have the right tires and right traction, and be ready for the next couple of days,” said Brown.
UDOT is hiring someone to help them enforce the new traction law, and educate people to have the right chains or tires.
“Where is the enforcement at the mouth of the canyons?!,” you asked. UDOT listened. UDOT is seeking applicants for a position specifically to assist UPD and UDOT Cottonwood Maintenance Station with enforcing and educating drivers on the new #tractionlaw. https://t.co/qZpxd5JKaM pic.twitter.com/VyMeXyhj2z
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) December 30, 2019
That new person will be stationed at the base of the canyon.
“Making sure we get people heading up the canyon with proper tires, or proper traction devices on, so that things can go a little more smoothly,” said Brown.
He said Unified Police can’t be there all the time to check traction devices at the bottom of the canyon.
The next storm is expected to give a lot of snow to the cottonwood canyons, but also the valleys, benches and the northern mountains.
#Weather Alert: @UtahDOT Weather Forecasters report this incoming storm will bring heavy snow amounts in the Cottonwoods: 1-2 ft, and 3-3.5 ft possible in some areas. All hands will be on deck for our road ops crew. Is your vehicle prepared for severe winter weather conditions? https://t.co/ugYrzPl4z9
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) December 31, 2019
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Latest snow storm expected to pull parts of Utah out of a drought
- Grace Struiksma – Channing Hall Charter School
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona
- Update: 4 dead after plane crash near Box Elder Peak, Tibble Fork Reservoir
- A flaw in iOS 13 can expose your contact details, and Apple’s known about the problem…
- Diane Crim & Niki Hack – Salt Lake Center for Science Education
- Former Venezuela prisoner Josh Holt appears with President Trump
- Woman hit by two cars in Salt Lake City
- Satellite imagery finds likely Kim train amid health rumors