(CNN) — Officials in Arizona killed three mountain lions who ate human remains close to a popular hiking trail.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department discovered the human remains Tuesday during an investigation at Pima Canyon Trail near Tucson and closed the trail, the department said. The Arizona Game & Fish Department said in a statement Wednesday the lions were killed overnight.
The mountain lions are not suspected of killing the victim, Game & Fish officials said. Authorities are trying to determine what happened on the trail, the sheriff’s department said.
“Mountain lions are not routinely scavengers. A mountain lion eating human remains is abnormal behavior. Those that do are more likely to attack a human being in the future,” Game & Fish Department Regional Supervisor Raul Vega said in a statement provided to CNN affiliate KGUN.
Vega added: “In addition, they did so 50 yards from a popular hiking trail and within sight of homes, and repeatedly showed no fear of responding officers.”
He said the mountain lions “were a clear and present danger to public safety.”
The mountain lions are being preserved as possible evidence in the death investigation, officials said.
An autopsy for the victim is scheduled for Thursday.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- NFL 2019: Pass interference reviews main topic in season 100
- Heart of Utah: Storytelling festival helps young performers find their voices
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- KSL NewsRadio Announces New Show, Programming Lineup
- Advocates call for tighter regulations on tanning beds
- New restrictions on fireworks to keep Utah residents safe
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Are You Ready To Take the Monster Plunge? 4 Reasons Why The Bear Lake Monster Winterfest Is…
- This Army veteran is helping to take the fight to lung cancer