SALT LAKE CITY — Officials with Salt Lake Fire say that an elderly man has died after an overnight house fire.
The fire broke out in the area of 1593 S and 700 E. Firefighters say they received a call from neighbors at about 7:05 this morning.
They have not yet determined a cause.
State fire officials say they’re seeing an uptick in deadly house fires this winter.
They say the number always goes up in the winter, compared to summer, simply because most homes are using heating equipment and there’s more risks involved.
Although State Fire Marshal Coy Porter reports there have already been seven fatal fires since Thanksgiving, which is a major rise.
He says they only average about eleven fatal fires a year, making the past month-and-a-half even more troubling.
According to Porter, fatal house fires in the winter are typically started by very preventable sources.
Faulty smoke detectors, outlets being used in close proximity to a heat source and open flame candles all typically are responsible for a number of fires.
Porter adds that four of the seven fatal fires this winter have involved elderly residents in their 70’s, which reiterates the need for neighbors to keep a watchful eye.
Today’s Top Stories
- Jury trial dates set for Lori Vallow in death, disappearance of Idaho children
- Record breaking year for Utah’s tourism industry
- KSL 5 is back on DirecTV
- Jared Nicol, Hildale council member, jailed on suspicion of stalking
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Utah Poison Control Center says they need a funding bump to continue
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Why the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima 74 years ago today
- When Democrats switch sides for the GOP primary, is it sabotage?
- Sir Paul McCartney makes his own guitar picks by crushing pennies under trains