VERNAL, Utah — The Uintah County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an alleged hazing violation by the Uintah High School boy’s basketball team. The sheriff’s office said the coaches and administrators are fully cooperating.
The violation was reported during a recent tournament in Cedar City. The school administration conducted its own investigation, finding individuals engaging in inappropriate behavior — but not constituting it as hazing or malicious intent.
“The coaches take allegations like these seriously and immediately reported the situation to the high school administration,” the Uintah School District responded in a press release sent to KSL NewsRadio.
Shortly after the investigation, the administration reported educating its student-athletes on the importance of appropriate conduct between classmates.
“Those who engaged in inappropriate conduct have been disciplined accordingly and the matter has been resolved at the school level,” according to the statement. “We thank those involved for their honesty and willingness to take responsibility for their behavior.”
The school district wrote in the press release they are aware of the rumors about the alleged hazing.
“That’s what they are, rumors. Spreading them violates the privacy of all involved and has the potential to harm student-athletes who did not engage in any inappropriate behavior.”
The high school and school district were not available to provide additional information.
Today’s Top Stories
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Parent dress code, Houston high school takes aim at parents
- Koala rescued after five-car pileup on Australian freeway
- Former producer: Doug Wright is the master of the scoop
- Giovanni Pangan, Philippines mission president, dies of heart attack
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation