RIVERDALE, Utah — Two cadets at the Utah Military Academy died from two different strains of the flu just a day apart from each other.
An email from the charter school says 8th grader Braxton Graham died Friday at Primary Children’s hospital. 11th grader Jaime Navarro passed away Saturday, also at PCH.
The Weber-Morgan Health Department says each student tested positive for different influenza strains that are both circulating this year.
The Academy says counselors will be at the school on Monday to help students and teachers who are grieving.
“Our love and thoughts go out to their families at this time, and we again ask that everyone be respectful of their loss and privacy,” says the statement.
The school also said it took extra precautions to clean and sanitize the entire school over the weekend.
The health department says people should get the flu vaccine every year, wash hands frequently, keep students home from school when they are sick and seek medical treatment soon.
Their statement said the flu vaccine may not eradicate the possibility of getting influenza, but it can significantly decrease the risk of severe illness, hospitalization or death.
“We, as public health, would like to extend our sympathies to your academy, staff and students. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Graham and Navarro families during this very difficult time,” said their statement.
Related Flu Stories
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter storm approaches Utah
- How does Utah’s vaccination goal compare to Biden’s?
- Crimewatch: the Murder of Sherry Black
- Portland protesters cause mayhem again, police officer hurt
- McDonald’s launches first new Chicken McNuggets flavor in nearly 40 years
- Taco Tuesday coincides with Cinco de Mayo
- Getting the Call to Serve: 7 Easy and Fulfilling Ways to Get Your Future Missionary Prepared…
- ‘Golden Boy’-turned-addict finds newfound life after prison
- Election officials say ‘do your homework’ before casting your ballot
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority