Petition to Make Kobe Bryant the New NBA Logo
Thousands of fans are calling on the NBA to update its logo to honor the late Kobe Bryant. The current NBA logo was designed by Alan Siegal featuring the silhouette of Los Angeles Lakers great Jerry West. The NBA has used the same iconic tri-color logo since 1971 except for a small change in the font in 2017.
“With the untimely and unexpected passing of the great Kobe Bryant please sign this petition in an attempt to immortalize him forever as the new NBA Logo,” creator Nick M wrote on the Change.org petition.
He added that he hoped ” … our dream does come true and we are able to see Kobe Bryant engraved into the NBA Logo.” The petition has already amassed over 1,000,000 signatures with a goal of 3,000,000.
Kobe Bryant’s Accomplishments
The NBA has not commented on the change but recognizes Kobe as one of the greatest players to touch the court. Bryant retired from the NBA in April 2016 after a legendary career spanning over two decades.
The 41-year-old, nicknamed “Black Mamba,” earned five NBA titles, named MVP of the NBA Finals twice and won two Olympic golds. As an 18-time All-Star, he transcended the sport and became one of the most iconic athletes of his generation.
After the news of Bryant’s death broke, the league released a statement sending condolences to his wife and family.
NBA Statement on Kobe Bryant’s Death
“The NBA family is devastated by the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna,” said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver in a statement.
“For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning. He was one of the most extraordinary players in the history of our game with accomplishments that are legendary … But he will be remembered most for inspiring people around the world to pick up a basketball and compete to the very best of their ability.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Rare black deer dies of chronic wasting disease in Moab
- Police make sixth arrest in the kidnapping and murder of Kearns woman
- Passengers stuck on Amtrak train for about 20 hours finally on their way
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- Satellite photo shows Chad Daybell property on likely day of child’s burial