MURRAY, Utah — A 3-year-old Murray boy is in stable condition after shooting himself in the head this morning, according to police.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) January 30, 2020
The Murray City Police Department says the incident happened around 6:30 Thursday morning in his home near 5200 S and 800 E.
A family member rushed the boy to Intermountain Medical Center and then he was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital.
Officer Kenny Bass, with the Murray City Police Department, says thankfully the boy was admitted quickly.
“The three-year-old is in stable condition with a non-life threatening injury.”
Nonetheless, he says there’s still a lot of unanswered questions about the shooting because it’s so early.
“Currently, the investigators are looking at it. The information they’ve received is that it’s possibly an accident, however it’s early in the investigation.”
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) January 30, 2020
Officer Bass says the gun belongs to someone in the home, but they’re not exactly clear who that is.
Police believe the boy climbed on top of a counter to grab the gun and it discharged while he was playing with it.
Today’s Top Stories
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Washington D.C. mayor refutes Lee’s claims about Utah National Guard hotel eviction
- New Gaza rockets disrupt Israel, Islamic Jihad cease-fire
- FBI considers putting some of those who attacked the Capitol on no-fly list
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- The alternative presidential candidate: Jo Jorgensen runs for the Libertarian Party
- Sandy City officials mourn police chief
- Utah lawmakers push for ERA ratification, reviving political battle
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case