MILLCREEK, Utah — The Unified Police Department says the response to a domestic call involving a woman and her adult son turned into an officer-involved shooting Monday.
The suspect has now been identified by the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office as Marc Dominic Neal, age 56, of Millcreek.
According to police, officers responded to a domestic report involving a gun at the address and encountered Neal in the front yard of the residence. Police say Neal was armed with a firearm as officers attempted to de-escalate the situation for several minutes prior to the shooting.
Six UPD officers have been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
UPDATE: @UPDSL says officers were called to a domestic dispute between a woman and her adult son near 2500 E Evergreen Ave. Shots were fired. Adult male fatally shot. More details to come. pic.twitter.com/JawASKUdOb
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) February 3, 2020
Evergreen Junior High School was temporarily placed on “shelter in place” because of “police activity” in the area.
(1/2) Patron Alert: Evergreen Jr High has been placed on a shelter in protocol due to some police activity in the neighboring area. The incident is unrelated to the school and there is no direct threat to students. Protocol is strictly precautionary to ensure student safety. pic.twitter.com/aoX9buoUOW
— Granite School Dist. (@GraniteSchools) February 3, 2020
As is protocol in a situation involving use of force like an officer-involved shooting, an outside agency will investigate. In this case, West Valley City will handle the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Bountiful police release video of pawn shop shooting
- ERA Utah supporters hold rally at the State Capitol building
- Heart of Utah: Storytelling festival helps young performers find their voices
- A Utah man dies while swimming at Deer Creek State Park
- What you can do right now to stop robocalls
- Cleanup from Magna quake continues as some residents grow more frustrated
- KSL NewsRadio Announces New Show, Programming Lineup