SAO PAULO, Brazil — An intruder carrying a knife was shot and killed inside the Sao Paulo Missionary Training Center for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
A church spokesperson in Brazil said it happened early Wednesday morning.
Their statement says that someone armed with a knife entered the MTC. Security guards detained the man near the reception desk until the police arrived.
“At some point, when the intruder attempted to attack police, he was shot and killed by police,” said Nei Garcia, Brazil Area Director of Public Affairs
The church says none of the missionaries or MTC staff were harmed during this incident.
“Families of the missionaries and staff are being informed. We are working closely with local authorities and are grateful for their efforts to respond and investigate. We will also provide missionaries and staff with any needed support,” said Garcia.
The statement goes on to say that they are grateful for the prayers and support both for the missionaries and the family of the individual who was killed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- DWR lets people take unlimited number of fish from Wasatch County fishing hole
- Taco Tuesday coincides with Cinco de Mayo
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Zion National Park and other Utah national parks begin re-opening
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers