SALT LAKE CITY – Health officials acknowledge that a Utah Coronavirus outbreak is unlikely. But that has not stopped them from prepping for a worst-case scenario.
More than 34,000 people have been infected with the potentially deadly disease so far, including 12 in the United States.
Though an outbreak of Coronavirus is not expected here, Utah State Epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn believes in being safe, not sorry.
“Whenever we have a new virus introduced into the human population, it’s something we need to take seriously, Dunn said after a news conference at the State Capitol, “because we don’t yet understand completely how it’s gonna act in a population. And, so, we need to do everything we can to contain it.”
The Utah numbers
To date, twelve people in Utah have been screened for Coronavirus. Of them, ten have tested negative and the other two are still awaiting their results.
Dunn says certain people are more at risk for catching Coronavirus than others right now.
“There [are] two main risk factors for getting Coronavirus: one [is] travel to mainland China, two [is] having close contact with someone who has Coronavirus,” Dunn said.
That is why state health officers have been teaching community groups how to spot the symptoms of Coronavirus, with a focus on groups that may be at higher risk of getting sick.
They are also encouraging people not to travel to China.
The worst-case scenario plan
Dunn says the state is also coming up with a worst-case scenario plan and making sure health agencies have the medical supplies they need.
She believes hospitals in Utah are currently capable of handling an outbreak, though some facilities can take in more patients than others.
The state’s efforts are similar to those performed during a potential global pandemic.
“We’ve done this for measles, when we had a Hepatitis C outbreak…Ebola…Zika. This is part of our routine,” Dunn said.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Utah National Guard supports fallen mayor’s daughter at debate
- Utah Democrats: Board of Education’s Natalie Cline should be held accountable
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say