MIDVALE, Utah — The first city in Utah to use the Local Alerts Facebook tool, Midvale, has already used it to immediately inform and update residents about issues that directly impact their daily lives.
Midvale used the Local Alerts Facebook tool last year to notify residents of I-15 bridge construction, offering an alternate route to avoid the area.
The use of the tool was received well by the community and generated some positive feedback.
How to get Local Alerts from Facebook
Facebook intends its Local Alerts tool to be used to keep people informed and up-to-date in the event of any potential emergencies. If you live in Midvale and follow Midvale City Government on Facebook, you will receive the news alerts.
Midvale City Communications Director Laura Magness told Jeff Caplan’s Afternoon News on KSL NewsRadio the city won’t abuse the system.
“I have been very very careful in how we use it because we want the residents to know if we send a local alert out it’s something they definitely need to be paying attention to,” Magness said.
Coming soon to a city near you
She said the Local Alerts Facebook tool is an excellent addition to the city’s communications strategy.
“We’re always thinking about how we can communicate important messages to residents more effectively and Facebook’s Local Alerts tool is one that has proven to be effective for Midvale residents. We’re glad to have this tool be a part of our communications toolkit,” she said.
The tool allows government, law enforcement, and emergency response Facebook pages like Midvale’s to mark a post as a “Local Alert.” It is still in a pilot period and will be extended to eligible local government pages in the coming months.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- UPDATED: 11-year-old boy dead after accidental discharge of a firearm in Kamas Valley
- Utah athlete, Lauren McCluskey, laid to rest
- No, police aren’t responsible for enforcing the face mask mandate
- Congo park ranger tells of taking viral selfie with gorillas
- Lauren McCluskey solved her own stalking case. Here’s how.
- Utah man involved in US Capitol riot to face more charges
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
- You Won’t Believe the Fun You Can Have at Utah Olympic Venues: 3 Incredible Winter…