Fugitive, K9 officer killed in officer involved shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — A parole fugitive and a K9 officer are dead after being shot and killed during an operation that involved the U.S. Marshals Violent Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team.
The shooting took place just before midnight on Thursday around the area of 400 East and 300 South.
The strike team first found the fugitive, Brian Filion, coming out of an apartment, according to Brandon Holt, chief deputy with the U.S. Marshals Service in Utah.
Officers gave chase after Filion fled and shortly afterward he was shot once he displayed a weapon.
A K9 officer, “Hondo,” was deployed and injured during the shooting, according to Holt.
Earlier today, “Friends for Unified Police K9” posted a brief statement on Facebook.
Later, Unified Police posted on Facebook that Hondo has sadly died.
Our thoughts are with Herriman PD and particularly with the K9 handler and his family, who lost their beloved partner and friend. All give some, some give all….
One woman has been taken into custody. Cops have not identified the woman or released any information pertaining to her possible relationship with the suspect.
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Herriman Police K9 Hondo, who was killed in the line of duty last night while assisting the U.S. Marshal’s Office in apprehending a dangerous fugitive.
A press conference will be held today at 3pm at the Herriman City Hall pic.twitter.com/CuABvAmipy
— Herriman PD (@HerrimanPolice) February 14, 2020
Officials say no other officers were injured.
An investigation will be conducted by the Salt Lake City Police Department’s officer-involved critical incident protocol team.
A troubling trend
This is the second officer involved shooting in Salt Lake City this week alone.
On Monday, police exchanged gunfire with a suspect involved in a domestic dispute. Cops say they found a woman deceased in an apartment. The suspect in that incident is in custody and is being treated for what police say appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
That incident took place just blocks away from today’s officer involved shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- Mayor announces Trader Joe’s will be coming to Draper in 2023
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Authorities say one person is dead, another arrested in Kearns shooting
- Utah homeschooling is on the rise. What does that say about education in Utah?
- Federal judge rules Diesel Brothers violated Clean Air Act
- Oquirrh Hills Elementary School first to be shut down under Utah’s turnaround program
- 2 Capitol Police officers suspended for their alleged roles in riot
- Oliver and Olivia top Utah baby names list for third year
- Holiday flight cancellations soar with Covid-19 disruptions and bad weather
- State takes steps to better fund school psychologists and social workers