LAYTON– A business in Layton, Utah is missing a chunk of its wall after a car crashed into the building.
Layton City Police received a complaint around 5:30 AM Sunday morning about a Jeep speeding on Hill Field Road.
Sergeant Brent Ericksen said a 26-year-old male driver failed to negotiate the curve of the road, crossed the opposite lane, and collided into Check City loan agency.
Serious crash at the Check City in #Layton. The driver was speeding down the road and somehow launched his jeep into the corner of the building. Fortunately no one was inside. The driver has been taken to the hospital. We’re working to get more of this story for @KSL5TV. #ksltv pic.twitter.com/qpo8qCwzjn
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) February 16, 2020
A witness called in the collision and said the accident wrecked about half the building. The building was empty at the time of the crash.
Alcohol is suspected to play a role and police have issued the driver a DUI citation.
The driver was able to climb out of the wreckage and was taken to the hospital. He has now been released for the hospital.
The identity of the driver has not been released.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘Diesel Brothers’ ordered to pay $850k for violating Clean Air Act
- UPDATE: Family confirms remains found at Daybell home are missing children
- Mail-in mistakes: how to make sure your ballot and vote count
- We have a wiener! Joey Chestnut eats 71 hot dogs for title
- Possible coronavirus on cruise ship causes huge problems for Utah couple
- New study: excessive screen time can stunt child development
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Mark Hamill called an 11-year-old ‘Star Wars’ fan with an R2-D2 bionic arm a hero
- Mary Kaye Huntsman talks: politics, international pressure and Russia
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving