(CNN) — Hilary Duff says the “Lizzie McGuire” revival can’t be “real and relatable” if it has to be a family friendly show.
Weeks after the much-anticipated reboot was put on hold, the actress posted an emotional plea on Instagram asking Disney to move the show from its streaming service to Hulu.
“Was incredibly excited to launch ‘Lizzie’ on D+ and my passion remains! However, I feel a huge responsibility to honor the fans’ relationship with LIZZIE who, like me, grew up seeing themselves in her,” Duff said in a post Friday.
“I’d be doing a disservice to everyone by limiting the realities of a 30 year old’s journey to live under the ceiling of a PG rating. It’s important to me that just as her experiences as a preteen/teenager navigating life were authentic, her next chapters are equally as real and relatable. It would be a dream if Disney would let us move the show to Hulu, if they were interested, and I could bring this beloved character to life again.”
Streaming service Disney+ announced plans last year for a revival of the series. The world met Lizzie — and her sassy, animated inner voice — when she 13 years old. In the new series, Duff was set to reprise Lizzie once again as the beloved character navigates her 30s.
Last month, production for the show was halted after Terri Minsky, the series creator and showrunner, stepped away from her role, Variety reported.
The original “Lizzie McGuire” ran from 2001-2004 on The Disney Channel. Disney released a film based on the series in 2003. Disney+ is streaming the original series.
Earlier this week, Hulu announced that “Love, Victor” — a series based on the movie “Love, Simon” that was originally planned for Disney+ — will be streaming on the platform.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- “Bonus Bucks” program encourages shopping and dining in Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City Council wants resident input on 2020-2021 fiscal budget
- Salt Lake County urges people to find new ways to visit elderly loved ones
- Crash in Spanish Fork Canyon involves five cars and one semi-truck
- Trump campaign manager deletes dramatic Air Force One NASCAR photo after people point out…
- Utah limo companies face inspections like buses, trucks
- Proposed bill would allow students to take mental health days from school
- New surveillance video shows the horrific attack on Lady Gaga’s dog walker
- Man stuck on avalanche deposit on Utah’s Mount Timpanogos
- Victim identified in fatal St. George shooting