Update: Jazz player tests positive for COVID-19, NBA season suspended
SALT LAKE CITY — A shakeup to the National Basketball Association season tonight, as the NBA announced it has suspended all remaining games in the season until further notice.
Breaking News: The NBA has suspended the season. Details below pic.twitter.com/6lAcBT0VQV
— Jeremiah Jensen (@JJSportsBeat) March 12, 2020
This news came at the same time that the NBA announced a member of the Utah Jazz has tested preliminarily positive for COVID-19 coronavirus. The player is reportedly Rudy Gobert.
Update: In a statement from the Utah Jazz they said, “We are working closely with the CDC, Oklahoma and Utah state officials and the NBA to determine how to best move forward as we gather more information. The individual is currently in the care of health officials in Oklahoma City.”
Sources say Gobert is feeling good, strong and stable — and was feeling strong enough to play tonight.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) March 12, 2020
The Associated Press confirms that Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert has tested positive for COVID-19 coronavirus.
The test result, the NBA said, was reported shortly before the scheduled tip-off time for the Utah at Oklahoma City game on Wednesday night. The game was called off. Players were already on the floor for warmups and tip-off was moments away when they were told to return to their locker rooms.
About 30 minutes later, fans were told the game was postponed “due to unforeseen circumstances.”
This is a developing story that will be updated as more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah is the 10th most active state in the country, according to study
- Navajo leaders quarantine as Native nation prepares for curfew
- How to care for Canterbury Bells | KSL Greenhouse
- Fed begins inflation fight with key rate hike, more to come
- VIP Special Needs Sports League
- S.L. County D.A. joins national call for (better) justice for all
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- Salt Lake ranks fourth nationally for pickleball but what is it?
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Marathon runner to set record in the name of dyslexia: 26 miles in costume