UTAH COUNTY– The Utah County Health Department (UCHD) confirmed its first COVID-19 patient on Thursday, the same day the state revealed a total of 51 cases, ten from out-of-state visitors. The new patient brings the total to 52.
In a press release, Utah County health officials said the patient who tested positive for COVID-19 is a male adult, over the age of 18, and has not been hospitalized.
UCHD believes the patient was exposed to the virus by local transmission in the community.
According to the statement, the patient attended one day of work while symptomatic. UCHD has notified “appropriate locations and individuals of potential exposure,” and has told those affected to quarantine at home.
“Quarantine at home means individuals should not leave home for ANY reason, except when advised by their health care provider to seek medical care in person. They should not go to work, school, or any public place, including stores, malls, theatres, restaurants, or any other retail establishment. They should not visit family or friends or have any visitors at home,” said UCHD.
As recommended by UCHD, those exposed to COVID-19 should frequently wash their hands, avoid touching their face and wipe down commonly used areas and objects often.
If someone in the quarantined household becomes symptomatic, “they should isolate the ill person away from the other members of the household and contact a health care provider,” advised UCHD.
State and local health officials are monitoring those in home quartine.
Symptoms of COVID-19 may include cough, fever over 100° F, or shortness of breath.
Resources for more information:
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- After 25 years, ‘The Far Side’ is back — with an online debut and new comics
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- Costco to require shoppers to wear a face mask
- Shift in policy will allow ATVs and UTVs in National Parks
- Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen
- USU reports COVID-19 virus in wastewater from residence halls
- The bubonic plague is back again in China’s Inner Mongolia
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Call before you dig: Stay safe during your home projects
- Salt Lake and Davis County Republicans elect new leadership