(CNN) — The European Union is urging Netflix and other streaming platforms to stop showing video in high definition to prevent the internet from breaking under the strain of unprecedented usage due to the coronavirus pandemic.
With so many countries on forced lockdowns to fight the spread of the virus, hundreds of millions working from home and even more children out of school, EU officials are concerned about the huge strain on internet bandwidth.
European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who is responsible for the EU internal market covering more than 450 million people, tweeted Wednesday evening that he had spoken with Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. Breton called on people and companies to “#SwitchtoStandard definition when HD is not necessary” in order to secure internet access for all.
A Netflix spokesperson told CNN Business that Hastings and Breton will speak again on Thursday.
“Commissioner Breton is right to highlight the importance of ensuring that the internet continues to run smoothly during this critical time,” the Netflix spokesperson said. “We’ve been focused on network efficiency for many years, including providing our open connect service for free to telecommunications companies.”
Netflix said it already adjusts the quality of streams to available network capacity, and uses a special delivery network that keeps its library closer to users as a way of consuming less bandwidth.
Facebook on Wednesday acknowledged that the effects of the pandemic are also stretching it to the limit.
In a call with reporters, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook’s services are facing “big surges” in usage as the coronavirus forces millions around the world to stay home.
He described the increase in demand as “well beyond” the main annual spike usually seen on New Year’s Eve. Voice and video calls on WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, in particular, are more than double usual levels.
— This is a developing story. More to follow
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- Mary Poppins meets James Bond: Will Meghan and Harry hire a Norland nanny for the royal baby?
- After 25 years, ‘The Far Side’ is back — with an online debut and new comics
- Salmonella outbreak killing Utah songbirds, what you can do
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- TSA finds seven guns in seven days at Salt Lake International Airport
- FBI Confidential: Evidence Response Team
- Peaceful protests in Provo Wednesday night