SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – Some people in South Salt Lake have been struggling financially since the Coronavirus outbreak, with lost jobs and worries about missing rent or mortgage payments.
That’s why the City Council is thinking about how to connect people to free financial resources during the pandemic.
South Salt Lake City Councilwoman At-Large Natalie Pinkney came up with the idea. She says everything is in the planning stages now, but the city may start small.
“What can we do to revamp our website and put some information on there? Provo city has a 3-1-1, and that’s kind of my proposal, which is do we have staff members that maybe could just answer a phone and [take] some questions,” Pinkney says.
Ultimately, Pinkney would like to partner with a non-profit to have a year-round financial empowerment center where residents could get help for free from a financial adviser.
For now, Pinkney and the rest of the council want people to practice good social distancing while getting good information.
“Even though we are in this digital age, a lot of people don’t know what to Google or where to go. As city employees or elected officials, we have so much information that we are gathering on a daily basis. How can we make that more transparent?” Pinkney says.
It’s unclear when exactly the city council will take up the issue, but it could be as soon as next week.
Tune to KSL NewsRadio via app, website or radio at 102.7 FM and 1160 AM for the latest.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- ‘Golden Girls’ recast with Black cast including Tracee Ellis Ross and Regina King
- Bill that would ban on sharing intimate photo evidence passes Legislature
- Sri Lanka bombing suspects may still be on the run, police warn
- As bitcoin surges, prominent cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase aims to go public
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Anti-vaccination signs over freeway deemed a distraction, taken down
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets