SANTIAGO, Dominican Republic — A missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints serving in the Dominican Republic, Santiago, mission died in a car accident Saturday afternoon.
Elder Israel Emmanual Ramírez Díaz, 20, from Ecatepec, Mexico, was one of the missionaries who died in the car accident. He had been serving in the mission since April 2018.
Díaz was with two other missionaries in the crash: Elder Jonata Maia Oliveria, 20, from Fortaleza, Brazil, and Elder Brigham Darian Tovar Noriz, 20, from Atotonilco de Tula, Hidalgo, Mexico.
They were both injured and are currently receiving medical attention. Local authorities report the crash is still under investigation.
“We express our deepest sympathies to the family and loved ones of Elder Ramírez who have witnessed his valuable contribution among those whose lives he touched,” said Daneil Woodruff, media releations manager of the church, in a statement. “May the Lord give them comfort and strength at this difficult time.”
Woodruff said the church is working to ensure the recovering missionaries receive the best care possible.
Today’s Top Stories
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- JayMac’s opinion: The brat brawl between Pelosi and Trump. Who’s right? Both wrong.
- Abandoned sacred places around the world
- Italians sing together as radio stations unite to broadcast the national anthem
- New US-Mexico border barrier charts tricky course near homes
- Erin Teuscher, Herriman high school
- JayMac: Macin Smith update: My brother was allegedly investigated in Macin’s disappearance
- Small cans lead to big sales for Coca-Cola