SALT LAKE CITY– Testing for the coronavirus should improve soon in Utah with new rapid COVID-19 testing machines on their way.
The 15 machines from Abbott Laboratories can run rapid COVID-19 tests which can give results in 15 minutes. They use the same technology that powers some rapid flu tests.
The FDA recently approved the machines.
The machines started shipping around the country on Tuesday.
“Testing continues to be the biggest challenge we face. I’ve mentioned this probably every time I’ve had a press conference. It is a challenge, and it is also the solution,” said Governor Herbert on Monday.
These new machines will test another 100 people per day. But they still need enough equipment like test kits, masks and swabs to make a bigger impact.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- What actually happened at Area 51?
- Gov Cox: All Utah residents eligible for vaccine next Wednesday
- Moose goes cliff-diving, swims off without a scratch
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Dogs that attacked girl will not be euthanized
- Iranian hackers said to target presidential campaign
- Inmates cook up a fresh start in jail kitchen
- Living near a gun shop or in a rural area puts you at higher suicide risk
- Former Venezuela prisoner Josh Holt appears with President Trump
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…