MIDVALE, Utah — Kids at the Midvale Family Center homeless shelter run by The Road Home get their school supplies and meals from the Canyons School District. But it’s hard to find something to do when you’re stuck inside because of the coronavirus.
That’s why The Road Home tweeted out a request for people to donate family-friendly DVDs for kids staying at their Midvale shelter.
Executive Director Michelle Flynn says they would also like books and games for the kids.
“We have a small playroom there. We do have some books. We’re trying to do activities for the different age groups, so things that apply to kids of all ages from newborns up to 18 would be most welcome,” Flynn said.
The shelter is also in need of cleaning supplies and toilet paper.
They are also accepting homemade masks for their staff and people who are staying in the shelter.
“Our priority needs right now are those personal protective gear. We are actually accepting homemade masks, and we’ve gotten some wonderful homemade masks in from partners in the community,” Flynn said.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- Detective on the McCluskey case fired for mishandling another young woman’s domestic…
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Latest Mitt Romney polls: Republican approval rating drop
- 5 tips to stop touching your face